Sheriff Golden Urges Safety Throughout the Holiday Season
Monmouth County: The holiday season is here and Sheriff Shaun Golden wants to make it a safe one throughout Monmouth County. There will be an increase of travelers as people celebrate with holiday parties. As a result, law enforcement will remain vigilant to keep roadways safe and free from drunk drivers.
“We want everyone to enjoy this wonderful holiday season, but if you are going to drink, don’t drive, it’s as simple as that,” said Sheriff Golden. “Law enforcement will be out in full force and on the lookout for drunk drivers.”
In New Jersey, an individual is considered over the legal limit if he/she operates a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol level concentration of .08 or greater. According to the New Jersey Division of Highway Traffic Safety from 2012-2016 there were approximately 37,964 alcohol related crashes that resulted in 718 fatalities in the state.
In an effort to avoid presenting a danger to oneself or others it’s important to follow these safety tips:
- Before going out, designate a driver who will not consume any alcohol the entire night.
- DO NOT DRIVE if you are impaired. Call an uber, a cab, a sober friend or family member. If you don’t have a ride stay where you are.
- If you see someone about to get behind the wheel or on a motorcycle after they have been drinking, take their keys and find them a ride with someone who is sober.
- Under no circumstances should adults provide alcohol to a minor or allow anyone under 21 to consume alcohol while at their home.
There is also a tremendous increase of shoppers this season and it’s important to not be careless or look vulnerable while shopping. The best way for shoppers to stay safe and not become a victim of theft, is by using a common sense and cautious approach.
- Park your car in well-lit areas of shopping center parking lots.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Limit the number of trips back to your car.
- Don’t leave packages exposed in your car. Lock them in your trunk.
- Have keys ready before you get in your car.
- Don’t shop alone especially at night.
- Look in your car before entering – do not enter if something does not seem right.
- ELFS-Enter the car, Lock the doors, Fasten Seat Belt, Scram
“By applying these important initiatives, we can all help ensure a safe, secure and happy holiday season in Monmouth County,” said Sheriff Golden.
For a downloadable version of this press release, click here: “News Release – Sheriff Golden Urges Safety Throughout the Holiday Season”