Freehold Township: Sheriff Shaun Golden is issuing a warning against solicitation scams by organizations claiming to be associated with the Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office.
This comes after the agency received a number of calls from residents and businesses in reference to a telephone solicitation for funds to the Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office. Callers to the sheriff’s office complained they were being solicited, lied to and in some cases, harassed. The organization misrepresenting itself is Alliance Fundraising of Princeton.
“This type of solicitation and misrepresentation is inexcusable and will not be tolerated,” said Sheriff Shaun Golden. “Our agency does not make calls for contributions of any kind, nor does it authorize the solicitation of contributions. We will aggressively investigate such scams and pursue all avenues of complaints both on the criminal and civil side.”
Complaints to the Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office can be directed to (732) 431-7139. If it is determined any laws, rules or directives have been violated these acts will be reported to the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office, which is authorized to prosecute cases on a county basis, the Division of Consumer Affairs which is authorized to investigate state offenses or the Federal Trade Commission, which is the federal agency authorized to investigate consumer offenses nationwide.
Organizations representing certain bargaining units within the Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office frequently hire companies to conduct telephone or mail solicitations on behalf of their members. These solicitations are not endorsed by, nor do they benefit, the Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office.
“Our agency does not prohibit unions from soliciting contributions, as long as attorney general guidelines are followed, but the agency can educate the public about fraud,” said Sheriff Golden.
In the event you receive a phone call it’s important to adhere to these guidelines:
- You are not being rude you are being shrewd when you simply hang up.
- Beware of offers to “help” and be wary of callers who claim they are law enforcement officers who will help for a fee.
- If you don’t want a business to call you again, say so. If they call back report them.
- Put yourself on the federal do not call list. The toll free number is 1-888-382-1222 or www.donotcall.gov.
- If you receive a call soliciting funds for the Monmouth County Sheriff’s Office please report it to (732) 431-7139 and provide the date, time, and phone number of the organization and details of the call.