Marlboro: Monmouth County Sheriff Shaun Golden continues to make the safety of our youths throughout Monmouth County a priority. The agency’s Dangers of Strangers, which makes children aware of the Dangers of Strangers in their communities and elsewhere, was presented at the Monmouth County Library, Marlboro Branch on May 9. The program is conducted throughout Monmouth County in an effort to keep children out of harm’s way.
“The safety and security of our children remains a principle concern for my agency,” said Sheriff Shaun Golden. “That’s why it is vital that children are made aware, and often reminded, about the Dangers of Strangers. Strangers have a way of luring children into harmful or possibly fatal situations through bribes and false claims such as a family emergency, a fake injury or a lost pet.”
Sheriff’s Officers Michelle Melendez and Iliana Santos presented the 45 minute program to more than 50 children and parents who attended. It teaches children what to do if a stranger tries to engage them in conversation, whether on the street, on the telephone, when home alone or on the internet.
In addition, they learn how to report suspicious activities to local law enforcement by calling 9-1-1.
According to the Center for Missing and Exploited Children, 797,500 children under the age of 18 were reported missing in a one year period of time, which resulted in an average of 2,185 children being reported missing each day.
The program makes students aware of important information about the Dangers of Strangers including:
- What is a stranger and how to deal with strangers
- What to do if home alone and a stranger telephones or comes to the door
- Tricks strangers employ to lure children into dangerous situations and how to recognize those tricks
- What to do if grabbed by a stranger
- Safe places to go
- Safety tips for inside and outside the home
- The importance of never giving personal information about yourself and family to anyone over the phone or Internet.
For a downloadable version of this press release, click here: News-Release-Dangers-of-Strangers-Marlboro