Basic Disaster Supply Kit Items
Water – You will need water for drinking, cooking and sanitation purposes. Pack a minimum of 1 gallon daily per person for 3 to 7 days.
Food – You will need enough for a minimum of 3 to 7 days:
- Non-perishable packaged or canned food and juices
- Foods for individuals with dietary restrictions (i.e. infants, elderly, etc.)
- Snack foods
- Cooking tools and fuel
- Paper plates and plastic utensils
Flashlight and Extra Batteries
Pillows, Blankets and/or Sleeping Bags
Clothing – Include a complete change of clothes suitable for your areas climate. Be sure to include sturdy shoes to protect you from debris or other sharp objects you may encounter outdoors post-storm.
First Aid Kit, Prescription Medication and Other Medicines
Radio – Battery operated and NOAA weather radio
Cleaning Supplies – Include garbage bags, moisture wipes and other items you may need to sanitize your home or surrounding post-disaster.
Special Items – Assess all family member needs. Consider other items needed for infants, elderly and individuals with access and functional needs (i.e. medical items, baby bottles, etc.)
Cash – Banks and ATMs may not be open or available for extended periods following a disaster.
Toys, Books and Games
Important Documents – Consider storing all critical documents in a waterproof container, as well as, saving them electronically. These items can include but are not limited to insurance, medical records, bank account numbers, Social Security card, etc.
Pet Care Items
- Proper identification / immunization records
- Ample supply of food and water
- Carrier or cage
- Muzzle and leash
- Photo of you and your pet(s) – in the event you are separated from your pet, having an updated photo with your pet will help validate pet ownership.