When planning for larger animals (i.e. livestock), take the following into consideration when developing your disaster plan:
- Disaster supply kit that includes, but is not limited to the following items:
- Form of identification for each animal
- Food and water
- Handling equipment
- Dry bedding
- Develop an evacuation plan to include different routes and possible shelter sites suitable for your animals.
- Ensure you have the necessary resources to transport your animals – vehicles, trailers and experienced drivers and handlers.
- Animal-Related Emergency Response
The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) serves as the lead agency for the State Emergency Response Team Emergency Support Function 17 (Animal and Agricultural Issues). Please click here to view additional information and resources to help you prepare a disaster plan for your animals.